Twenty Years Ago…..
…when Independent Living Resources, Inc. (formerly Great Rivers, Inc.) opened its doors individuals living with disabilities didn’t have many options to get current information related to their disability or find the support they needed to be as independent as possible. From day one, ILR’s staff and Board of Directors made it a priority to listen to the voices of those we serve and responded by providing consumer directed services throughout our service region.
Over the 20 year span a wide variety of services have been developed; IL Core services: Advocacy, Information and Referral, Skill Training, Peer Support and Assistive Technology. Once staff developed the necessary expertise for core services they began to look at other services: Accessibility/504 (public buildings) and in-home accessibility, Vocational Futures Planning and Social Security Benefits Analysis.
- In 1998 we opened an office in Richland Center.
- In 2001 we managed a state-wide Nursing Home Transition grant.
- In 2002 we became a Personal and Supportive Home Care provider.
- In 2004 we developed a contract with La Crosse County for a Consumer Affairs Coordinator.
- In 2005 we began running Recovery Avenue (RAVE – A mental health drop-in center).
- In 2006 we began a partnership with Coulee CAP serving people with disabilities who were homeless.
- In 2007 we continued providing Disability Navigator services.
- In 2009 we wrapped up Model Community and started the first annual Art of Recovery event.
- In 2011 we began providing short-term intense case management through Bridges.
- In 2012 we began providing statewide technical assistance to mental health drop-in centers.
This year we look forward to opening an office in Tomah! These are just some highlights as ILR has numerous contracts and funding sources that we work with to provide quality services that result in positive consumer outcomes.
As you can see we have been busy trying to meet the needs of those who come to us for services while promoting the Independent Living movement. Along the way we have developed wonderful relationships with thousands of consumers and numerous organizations. We want to thank our partners and consumers; we could not have done it without you! We look forward to celebrating 20 years of service provision with all of you!